Old 26-05-2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default Fear of Eating by Paul Krugman

In article om,
jcomeau_ictx wrote:

On May 25, 2:19 pm, Bill Rose wrote:
In article .com,
told2b wrote:
On May 25, 12:36ïż½pm, Bill Rose wrote:
Earlier this month the administration named, you guessed it, a ³food
safety czar.² But the food safety crisis isnıt caused by the arrangement
of the boxes on the organization chart. Itıs caused by the dominance
within our government of a literally sickening ideology.
This does not belong here, but it was a good read.

This article does belong here because it is the very reason why so many
of us grow as much of our own food as we can. We have no faith in the
government to protect our health.

True, but it has nothing to do, in my mind, with liberals or
conservatives. I don't trust government, period. Put the liberals in
power and give them umpteen billions to protect our food supply and
they'll do better than the conservatives, but not good enough to trust
your life with.

Let's grow our own food, dig our own wells, purify our own drinking
water, compost our own waste, and maybe one day we'll wake up and
realize "what do we need the government for, anyway?"

Anyway, old Milt died, give the guy a break. He made mistakes, as do
we all. If the Republican politicians would really listen to the core
Libertarian philosophies and not just the parts they want to hear and/
or pay lip service to, things might not be so bad now.

The ostentatious, narcissistic, megalomaniacs who run for public office
can be collectively referred to as Republicrats. They get to be the new
front persons, mouth pieces for the oligarchy but the "owners" stay the
same. They aren't serving the people's needs either in terms of security
or nutrition.

I think we do need a central government, one that is insulated from the
influence of money. We need common laws and equal enforcement. We need
public services such as fire departments, hospitals, libraries, road
repair, water and sanitation. If your neighbors house goes up in flames,
it threatens yours. If your neighbor has a communicable disease, it
needs to be treated. Are we all in this together or separately? Do we
band together for the common good or, can I hit you in the head and,
then what was yours is now mine? Collective effort seems to be the only
safe answer. The problem is that this crew in Washington have been
shearing us. Not just the Bushies, who are just the most egregious
examples the oligarchy's management but also that slick talking Bill
Clinton who's Secretary of State thought that the deaths 500,000 Iraqi
kids (less than 5 years old) was an acceptable price to pay to control
our previous stooge in Iraq, Saddam Hussein. Now with enlightened
management gone, I fear the truly greedy are no longer content with
shearing us but, want to skin us.
-----

Except for the last few 'maters, the edible garden is in the ground
except for the melons. Something has eaten all he melons I've put out
except for one "Sugar Baby" watermelon. I have back ups germinating as I
type. The violets are in flower and so are the peas. The violets have
attracted the bees, at least a half dozen of them. I'm probably a week
away from a fresh garden salad. The house wrens and the bush-tits have
returned to the feeder, the hanging nasturtium is about to over flow
it's pot. It feels like just before a performance. I can hardly wait for
it to begin.

While it's important to be aware of the Bushies and the Morlocks, it's
important to live like they don't exist.

- Bill