Old 26-05-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
T i m T i m is offline

Default d-i-y'd compost bin questions.

On Sat, 26 May 2007 15:39:20 +0100, Gill Matthews Try the
wrote:

The flies sound like friut flies which are harmless to compost heaps.

Ok thanks Gill. I think I've also seen them inside the lid and at
first glance *some* of these insects look like silverfish (7mm long
and 1mm wide) , except they can fly?

Your compost might be a bit a bit damp with only veg scraps etc.

Doh, and now I've added water (n stuff) ;-(

We
bulk ours out with confidential shreddings.

I've torn up some egg boxes and bog roll tubes and added some (long)
grass that I cut yesterday. I might go with your shredding idea as
that is something we need to 'get rid of'

When I was giving it a good stir earlier I noticed the bottom ~6" was
a fairly dark black, consistent 'stuff' and although I might have seen
a worm or two there were quite a few woodlice (and what may have been
the beginnings of an ant's nest). After giving it a good turn over it
all smelt a bit better as well. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m