Old 27-05-2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] DanielTX69@gmail.com is offline

Default If you deadhead poppies will they bloom longer?

On May 26, 4:53 pm, doctoroe wrote:
Will deadheading poppies help them bloom longer. We are growing a
bunch for the first time this year and seed heads are starting to
form. Just wondering if we can stretch the blooming season out a bit.
These are your basic oriental poppies.
Thanks.

No, sorry, but poppies will not rebloom...they are among the few
plants that do not benefit from deadheading.

I like to let the seed heads mature. When the little windows open, I
carefully snip off the seed head, keeping it upright, and pour the
seeds into a shallow bowl. I let them dry for a week or so and then
put them in a tightly sealed container. Next October (here in North
Texas) I plant them again.

Hope that helps.