Old 27-05-2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default If you deadhead poppies will they bloom longer?

wrote:

On May 26, 4:53 pm, doctoroe wrote:

Will deadheading poppies help them bloom longer. We are growing a
bunch for the first time this year and seed heads are starting to
form. Just wondering if we can stretch the blooming season out a bit.
These are your basic oriental poppies.
Thanks.

No, sorry, but poppies will not rebloom...they are among the few
plants that do not benefit from deadheading.

I like to let the seed heads mature. When the little windows open, I
carefully snip off the seed head, keeping it upright, and pour the
seeds into a shallow bowl. I let them dry for a week or so and then
put them in a tightly sealed container. Next October (here in North
Texas) I plant them again.

Hope that helps.

Here in SW Louisiana (USDA Zone 9b)we let the seed heads drop to the
ground and in January they start blooming again. My wife sometimes will
take the seed heads if she's interesting in moving some to a different
flower bed.

George