Old 27-05-2007, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
readandpostrosie readandpostrosie is offline

Default Buried Underground Hose Question

i believe you are lucky! we won't try that here in wisconsin.

--

"John Bachman" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:42:13 -0500, "readandpostrosie"
wrote:

.............. Standard PVC will not hold up more than a couple of
years,
and, doesn't tolerate much weight, easier to break.

not to mention the damage to PVC from freezing temperatures. (yes, even
buried)

I have a buried 1" PVC water line that runs from the house to my
mini-farm about 1000' away with another 500' running around the garden
area. I live in NH and have had no trouble with the line even though
I drive over it constantly with my Kubota tractor and occassionally my
pickup truck.

The line is 6" to 18" below the surface. I drain the system every
fall blowing it out with a compressor attachment.

So the claims that it will not hold up and will be damaged by freezing
temperatures do not seem valid if one takes appropriate cautions.

John