Old 27-05-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Wane Smooth Wane Smooth is offline

Default Destructive tree-cutters & electricity wires.

On Sun, 27 May 2007 15:30:50 GMT, Eddy Bentley wrote:

Have I got no legal rights in this situation?

Hi Eddy I was a power linesman pre-privatisation.The power companys HAVE to
cut to a safe distance from the wires.Not sure on the distance(a long time
ago) but it used to be about 4 to 5 foot.More for the transformer.
As for clearing for a period of 4/5 or whatever years I doubt they have any
powers at all.I NEVER cut trees without permision in 20 years.This was
because the power companys had next to no powers at all.

They ask "permission" to cut, but the tree-cutter has warned that if I
do not agree then he has the ability to inform the power company and the
power company has the right to turn off the electricity supply!

Total rubbish.
I doubt anything has changed since my days with them.All you do is agree to
nothing,become the awkward customer,they will then send a white collar type
who will give a you truer picture of things.
This is not a pleasant way to go about things but unfortunately experience
has shown me this is the only way to deal with them.
I used to be the bloke who wanted to cut every tree in site.True.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto