Old 28-05-2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Buried Underground Hose Question

On Sun, 27 May 2007 08:46:39 -0400, John Bachman
wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:42:13 -0500, "readandpostrosie"
wrote:

.............. Standard PVC will not hold up more than a couple of years,
and, doesn't tolerate much weight, easier to break.

not to mention the damage to PVC from freezing temperatures. (yes, even
buried)

I have a buried 1" PVC water line that runs from the house to my
mini-farm about 1000' away with another 500' running around the garden
area. I live in NH and have had no trouble with the line even though
I drive over it constantly with my Kubota tractor and occassionally my
pickup truck.

The line is 6" to 18" below the surface. I drain the system every
fall blowing it out with a compressor attachment.

So the claims that it will not hold up and will be damaged by freezing
temperatures do not seem valid if one takes appropriate cautions.

John

My buried 3" PVC pipe carries the overflow from my spring-fed pond to
a nearby stream. Water has ran through it continuously (~1.5 gal/min)
since 1992 without any issues except for an occasional algae clog. The
pipe is buried about 1 foot deep in the ground.