Old 28-05-2007, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rosalyn Rosalyn is offline

Default Tropical-looking garden in shade - advice requested

Hi,

I have recently come back from Cuba and love their gardens. Large red
and green leaves, a few red flowers and an overall lush feel.

I would like to recreate this in the UK, but my garden is almost all
in shade, a lot of it full shade. I also don't want to have to bring
plants in, or protect them over the winter. The plants do not need to
actually be tropical, just recreate that feel.

My ideas so far are fatsia japonica, tree ferns (and other ferns),
bamboo and rhubarb, either real or ornamental. I would love a
cordyline or phormium but think they prefer sun? And the same for
gunnera?

Any ideas gratefully welcomed.

thank you

Rosalyn