Old 28-05-2007, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Tropical-looking garden in shade - advice requested

"Rosalyn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have recently come back from Cuba and love their gardens. Large red
and green leaves, a few red flowers and an overall lush feel.

I would like to recreate this in the UK, but my garden is almost all
in shade, a lot of it full shade. I also don't want to have to bring
plants in, or protect them over the winter. The plants do not need to
actually be tropical, just recreate that feel.

My ideas so far are fatsia japonica, tree ferns (and other ferns),
bamboo and rhubarb, either real or ornamental. I would love a
cordyline or phormium but think they prefer sun? And the same for
gunnera?

Any ideas gratefully welcomed.

thank you

Rosalyn

Sound like you have got an almost ideal site for a lush tropical look.
If you like Fatsia japonica then have a look at Fatsia polycarpa also.
Pseudopanax (Cyril Watson) is another one that you mike like.
Have a go with Aroids-things like Lysichiton and Arisaema.
Bananas/Musa as already stated will grow OK but not quite as well as in full
sun. M.basjoo and M.sikkimensis are the standard ones.
The list is endless but with all the suggestions made so far you get the
picture.
Nearly forgot you must have a palm. The one bog standard, grow anywhere,
palm is Trachycarpus fortuneii although those big leaves do not like wind.

Petasites, Damura, Polypodium, Schefflera (the Hardy ones),Philodendrom
selloum
Well, I said the list goes on forever but please do not forget those
faithful old plants -they were once counted as exotics too.