Old 29-05-2007, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unusual trees for a new park

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ((SNIP))

Lomatia sp.

Thought they were flies :-)

Quite a few generic names are reused between plants and animals. For
example, Modiola, Napaea, ...

Phymosia rosea. Deep purple somewhat Abutilon like flowers (but actually
more closely related to mallows). I've only seen one specimen, grown on a
south facing terrace (and mislabelled as Malvaviscus arboreus, which I
doubt would be hardy).

Wollemia nobilis.

Thanks Stewart.
I had thought about a Wollemi Pine but they are expensive for their size.
However that puts me on another tack, how about ancient, prehistoric tree
species like the Wollemi?
Suggestions please...

Lots of plant genera have long fossil records. For example limes (Tilia,
not Citrus) are about 60 million years old. However some plants often
considered under this category are

Gingko biloba
Araucaria araucana (any other hardy Araucaria would be more unusual)
Metasequoia glyptostroboides
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley