Old 28-05-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gareee© Gareee© is offline

Default Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
The compression would have to be steadily compressed once it is
hardened. It won't bond to the plastic. That is why we went for EDPM
and a tar-like sealer. It can stretch if there is any flex in the
can. Steady pressure on the silicone would work as well, as long as
it did not get moved.

So aquarium glue will not bond to the rubbermaid then?

The fitting won't be moved much, but the Rubbermaid does stretch with the
water weight, and since it is a fitting to an external line, I'm sure there
will be some simple occasional stress from cleaning the pond, hooking things
up, and detaching them, and storing the uv filter for winter.

I could use shoo goo (by the Goop people, and put a very generous amount on
both the interior and exterior. another thought, was to put it first on the
pvc pipe itself, so there's already a rubber "gasket" around it, and then
use it ac I described above.. I'd think the goop then would bond well to
itself.

Still considering options before pulling the filler out, and redoing that.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)