Old 29-05-2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default roundup in the yard and garden

3. Glyphosate is acutely toxic to humans. Ingesting about 3/4 of a
cup can be lethal. Symptoms include eye and skin irritation, lung
congestion, and erosion of the intestinal tract. Between 1984 and 1990
in California, glyphosate was the third most frequently reported cause
of illness elated to agricultural pesticide use.

3/4 of a cup, huh? So that would be what, a pint of the 41%
concentrate? (I would guess that most homeowners buy the 26% or less)
If you drink a couple of gallons of the .5% ready-to-use Roundup, I
think you'll suffer more from water intoxication than from the glyphosate.

I wonder if those "illness [r]elated to agricultural pesticide use"
include heat stroke, dehydration, getting run over by the tractor, etc.
Why didn't they just say "accidental poisonings"? This one statistic
IMHO makes all the rest suspect because it looks so dishonest.

BTW, I thought about spraying Round-up today, but it was so much more
satisfying pulling the weeds by hand. It rained a couple of days ago
and the ground was just right. :-)

Bob