Old 29-05-2007, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default roundup in the yard and garden

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote in message
6.121...
"JoeSpareBedroom" was forced to post this in:
rec.gardens

I know you contribute a lot of intelligent commentary, especially in
the food NG, but in this one regard (chemicals), you are being a twit.

The little cascade Charlie started is about as enlightened as you calling
me a twit. I also know you contribute a lot of intelligent commentary in
the groups you participate in but resorting to finger pointing and name
calling will not make any points for your cause, at least in my direction.

Sorry, Michael. It's a cop out to say "I just use a small amount of
chemicals". As I mentioned above, homeowners are one of the two
largest sources of groundwater pollution. That's bad, and there is no
room to debate it. Your kitchen is yours to spend a fortune on. But
outdoors, the things you do don't stay on your property.

Well Joe, neither does air pollution for autos and industry, alcohol in a
body behind the wheel of an automobile or letting screaming children cross
your property line etc. I am not, nor ever have been a purist. I am more
of a middle ground person. Am I aware chemicals may cause contamination?
Of course I am. Do I use organic and natual herbicides, pesticides and
fertilizers? That is all I use, even on the lawn, except for the Roundup.
I use Roundup very responsibly and will not apologize, or even feel bad,
for using it. I have great respect and fear of chemicals. I have 3 cats,
dog and a horse. All rescue animals. But yet I find PETA to be a rabid
organization. IMO they take things to the very extreme and do nothing but
damage to the organization. I like vodka martinis and hate gin. I am gay
but firmly denounce NAMBLA and other organizations like it. See how I am?
People and organizations that are extreme in any area, with completely
rigid attitudes and opinions, generally snap off during the big storm.

Michael - just my 2 cents

Chemicals are like religion, Michael. The moment they leave your property,
you're guilty. I love fishing. But guess what? Every year, the list of fish
that are unhealthy to eat grows larger. You could say that as of today,
you're not the cause of that, since the chemicals found in fish came from
industries who dumped toxic waste 20-40 years ago. But 20 years from now,
the crap YOU use will be showing up in fish, and you WILL be guilty.

Remember: Homeowners have now surpassed industry as point source polluters.
Do you know what a point source is?