Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
MAG

Default Big old ivy patch, physical removal methods requested

In article ,
says...

"MAG" wrote in message
ganews.com...
Hi folks-

I started a thread in a separate newsgroup and got some good advice to
try this one.

I've got about 250 square feet (I previously reported it incorrectly as
150 sqf) of some nasty ivy in my front yard, and I want to get rid of
it, to open that area up to replanting.

My post in the other newsgroup wasn't specific enough, so let me try
better he I'm not looking to spray Roundup and wait for it to die.
Tried that last year. The stuff is resiliant. What I'm looking for is
tips on physical removal. It's beyond doing by hand!! Believe me I've
tried taking a whack at it that way.

I'm guessing I should rent some sort of power equipment from the local
rent-all center to cut up the vines and chew up the soil. What
equipment would be suitable? I don't even mow my own grass, but I'm
pretty good with equipment in general.

Step 2 presumably involves shoveling out the vine-and-soil debris and
disposing of it. A quick calculation suggests this project might result
in several dozen square yards of the debris. How can I get rid of it? I
guess the best thing would be to rent a roll-off container or something
to heap it into? Any ideas on costs associated with this (Maryland)?

Step 3 involves filling the area with new soil. What are the better
places to get this? Home Depot?

We're trying to bring the project in on a tight budget, but I'll trade a
few bucks for an easier job. What I'm trying to avoid is paying a
landscaper a couple thousand to do it...

Any suggestions appreciated.

Marc -- This may sound a bit simplistic, but have you considered using a
lawnmower (with bag) on the area, then rototilling it to loosen the soil,
then a shovel to remove it? I suppose this might not be possible if the
roots are too deep and/or the area is inaccessible with a mower, but ....

Just a thought.

James

James- Thanks. I've considered this. It might be a reasonable option.

Marc