Old 29-05-2007, 11:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Propane weed burner question

In article ,
John Bachman wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:09:21 -0900, Jan Flora
wrote:

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Jack S" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've got a rock "lawn" and I would like to quit using herbicide for
killing weeds, and try scorching them instead.

There are a lot of weed / roofing torches on ebay and I was
wondering if there is anything to choose for or against in buying
one. The one I'm leaning toward getting says: "3000+ Fahrenheit" -
that's enough, right?

Here in Seattle, use of "weed burners" is illegal. FWIW.

Bob

Is the OP in Seattle? If not, who cares?

I just burned my "lawn" and garden off. It's finally time
to plant. And we're going to burn 20 acres of hay meadows off
that we weren't able to hay last year, due to Seattle-type
weather all frigging summer.

Jan in Alaska

The farmers here (NH) used to burn off their fields regularly. Burning
really spruced up the fields nicely, killing weed seeds and other
pests "reconditioned" the soil for the new crop. It was a nice,
organic time honored method.

But the environmentalists managed to outlaw field burning on air
pollution grounds. So now the farmers use chemical methods to control
weeds and other pests. This is a perfect example of the law of
unintended consequences.

Did those opposing field burning really accomplish anything?

JHMO

John

Alaska is being invaded by people who are opposed to everything,
even if they don't know what the f*ck they're talking about.

We're supposed to call the fire hall in town (22 miles away) if
we want to light our burn barrel now. Like that would do us a lot
of good. I've never seen our local fire department lose a foundation
yet.

By the time they get here, houses are a total loss and the guys
show up and water-down the smoldering debris and foundation,
make a big mess, destroy the yard and driveway, then strut around
like they did something important.

It's getting so people with common sense are outlawed from
doing what any man with a lick of sense would do.

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.