Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
paghat

Default Buy outdoor grown azaleas?

In article ,
wrote:

After I bought an azalea at Nursery "A", I passed by Nursery
"B" run by Japanese. Saw a lot of azaleas sitting out. Asked the
young man about them. He said their azaleas are grown outdoors, and
not "forced", like the one I just bought. Therefore their blooming
cycle is more natural. Whereas the greenhouse-grown ones are full of
blooms when they arrive at the nursery,but then they abruptly lose hem
all and it's quite a while till they bloom again.

What do people think of this explanation?

I've visited several growers here in the northwest & only ever seen them
field-grown, which appears to be the fundamental method. It'd take a
multi-billionaire to build enough greenhouses for so many shrubs.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/