Old 29-05-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default If you deadhead poppies will they bloom longer?

George Shirley expounded:

Here in SW Louisiana (USDA Zone 9b)we let the seed heads drop to the
ground and in January they start blooming again. My wife sometimes will
take the seed heads if she's interesting in moving some to a different
flower bed.

Depends on what kind of poppies we're talking about. Perennial
poppies won't rebloom, nor will they come up that fast from seed.
Annual poppies will do a limited rebloom upon deadheading. Those seed
heads you should let ripen so you'll get more poppies next season.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts