Old 29-05-2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Any weeds that you kind of like and let grow for a while?

On May 29, 3:34 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
mleblanca wrote in news:1180415326.055470.156210
@p47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

The biggest weed I let stay around is Wooly Mullein, Verbascum
thapsus,
I love the huge leaves, and the neighbors all believe my story that
it's a
very expensive exotic plant!! Have to remember to remove the flower
stalk
before it sets seed........

Emilie
NorCal zone 8b

How did you get your original Mullein into the garden? I want some but,
IIRC, it doesn't transplant well from field. Did you just seed it and
wait?

In the herb garden where I work sometimes, people always stop at the
Mullein and go, "Ew, what's THAT doing here?"

That's been a long time ago. I know I got it from my mother's yard.
I think that if you get it when it's quite small, before that big ol'
tap
root develops, and pop it immediately into a pot and water it that
you can transplant it ok. Keep it in the pot in the shade for awhile.

(Seems like that's what I did) Nice that it's a biennial, so no
worries about flowers for a year.
Good luck with it

Emilie