Old 29-05-2007, 02:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default Please help identify! (0/1)

On Mon, 28 May 2007 16:41:04 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

You have a reed stemmed Epidendrum. Which one, I cannot say. These often get
very tall and rangy. From the photo, I am guessing that you grow it outside
under screening. Is that correct? Also, where are you and what is your
climate?

The roots on the stems are keikis. That is a new plant forming. At some
point you can either leave it on or pot it up, having simply twisted it off
the stem.

These Epis tend to stand straighter if they get the same light all day. In
my experience, they can take a good bit of sun. Some folks here in FL grow
them in the ground.

If you have recurring mealies, they are most likely in the pot, too. I
recommend that you unpot, clean the plant with that insecticidal soap and
repot into a fresh pot with new medium.

HTH!

Diana

I think you covered most of it, Diana. But Reed Stems also do throw
roots up 5-8 inches. It is as if it expected to add support. The pot
roots tend to be fairly shallow while it sending out the higher root
cluster. So not all aerial roots are keiki. Mine blooms at a height
of 6-6 1/2 feet. It permanently sits against the south wall of the gh
and is wired to the wall at about 4 feet for a bit of support.
Given enough sun and food this plant will bloom most of the year.
SuE