Old 29-05-2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default Propane weed burner question

On Tue, 29 May 2007 09:24:06 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
John Bachman wrote:

The farmers here (NH) used to burn off their fields regularly. Burning
really spruced up the fields nicely, killing weed seeds and other
pests "reconditioned" the soil for the new crop. It was a nice,
organic time honored method.

But the environmentalists managed to outlaw field burning on air
pollution grounds. So now the farmers use chemical methods to control
weeds and other pests. This is a perfect example of the law of
unintended consequences.

Did those opposing field burning really accomplish anything?

JHMO

John

Alaska is being invaded by people who are opposed to everything,
even if they don't know what the f*ck they're talking about.

We're supposed to call the fire hall in town (22 miles away) if
we want to light our burn barrel now. Like that would do us a lot
of good. I've never seen our local fire department lose a foundation
yet.

By the time they get here, houses are a total loss and the guys
show up and water-down the smoldering debris and foundation,
make a big mess, destroy the yard and driveway, then strut around
like they did something important.

It's getting so people with common sense are outlawed from
doing what any man with a lick of sense would do.

Jan

Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding, use of a propane
weed burner has nothing to do with burning fields.

You do not have to char the weed, just apply a bit of heat to it and
get it to wilt a bit and that sucker is a goner.

I wet down the area before I use my burner - that prevents flare ups
but I keep the hose handy just in case. Use a little common sense and
there is no problem. I cannot imagine any justification for outlawing
their use.

Sure, stupid people mis-using a weed burner can cause problems but you
can say that about the use of many, many products including cars,
chainsaws and lawnmowers. We should not penalize the conscientious
user to protect the idiots from themselves.

JMHO

John