Old 29-05-2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
[email protected] gbloom@google.com is offline

Default Centipede infestation?

When I left the office for the three-day Memorial Day vacation, my
potted square bamboo (quadrangularis) was doing fine. It was small
and green and I'd watered it the day before.

On return to the office, most of the leaves on the plant have yellowed
and are dry and brittle, though there is still one remaining green
culm. The soil is still moist, so I don't think it's being
underwatered.

I did some further exploration into the soil and determined that the
soil is infested with many many roughly 1/2" long centipedes (or
possibly millipedes, they're small enough that counting the number of
feet per segment is tricky).

This leads me to several questions:
1) Are centipedes and/or millipedes harmful for young, small bamboo?
2) Are there any effective pest control methods which will not further
affect my bamboo?

Looking forward to your timely answer in hopes of saving this rhizome.

XSG