Old 29-05-2007, 10:25 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Philip Semanchuk Philip Semanchuk is offline

Default Ongoing care for tomato plants

In article ,

On 2007-05-26, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
In article ,
(don) wrote:

In article k.net,
wrote:

At the risk of stating the obvious, water your tomato plants if the soil
gets dry.

I've heard it's better to just water the ground around the plant, and not
soak
the leaves as well. Is that true?

Tomato plants tend to be vulnerable to fungus and mildew attacking the
leaves, especially in this humid climate. I have always operated under
the assumption that getting the leaves wet would only encourage
problems. I also made a habit of mulching the soil around my plants so
that rainwater couldn't splash dirt onto the leaves, which I've heard
aids soil-borne diseases in attacking the plants.

I have not seen TomatoLord post, but he would disagree. He shreds
leaves and puts them out 6 inches deep. He then parts the leaves and
places the plants directly on the ground not in it.

I would not dare to argue with someone named TomatoLord! But seriously,
with which part would he disagree? Reading what you wrote, I think we're
saying the same thing -- use mulch to keep soil from splashing onto your
plants.
--
Philip Semanchuk
email: first name @ last name.com