Old 30-05-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Cheaper Lawn Fertiliser?

Steve wrote:
Can anybody suggest a source for lawn fertiliser at a sensible price?
Boxes of stuff like Evergreen are all very well, but I need at least 4
to feed my lawn just once and I can't help feeling that they are
overpriced.

I wondered about agricultural suppliers who may well do 25kg bags, but
I'm not sure what to ask for.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Steve

I go to Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) and buy their house brand of lawn
fertilizer. Of all brands (including house brands elsewhere), it has
the most nitrogen per dollar. Since I buy the fertilizer without weed
killer, I also use it in my flower beds.

For plants that are heavy feeders (e.g., roses, gardenias), I use
ammonium sulfate. With my alkaline soil, they appreciate the acid.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean