Old 30-05-2007, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default Compost

On 29 May 2007 21:15:43 -0700, MajorOz wrote:

I have gardened on and off for a number of years, but have really
jumped into veggies and landscaping since I got a place in the boonies
eight years ago. I don't seem to have too many problems with the
basics, and I go organic as much as I can.

In that vein, I intend to venture into composting.
The cleared portion of my land, around the buildings, that I mow
comprises about four or so acres of generic local weeds, fescue that
has blown in from the neighbors up the road, and whatever forbs and
juvie trees take root come spring. I have no "lawn".
Can I gather these clippings and, after the proper treatment and
ageing, use them in the garden, with the roses and other flowers, or
as cover / mulch here and there? Will doing so simply re-distribute
weed seed?

I manage my 63 acres for wildlife, and plant trees and brush from the
state -- too damn many trees to keep up with Would the well aged
compost from these clippings be OK to put in the "holes" that the
trees get planted in?

If you manage the compost so that it gets hot the weed seeds will be
killed. That requires adequate moisture and turning periodically to
provide oxygen. I monitor my compost pile with a thermometer and turn
it when the internal temperature drops 20 degrees F.

If you just pile it up and wait you will get good compost (it usually
takes 3 years this way) but the weed seeds will survive and will
thrive in the rich compost.

John

Thanx for any help.

cheers