Old 29-05-2007, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Bark Chippings

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
: I have one bed which is particularly difficult to maintain - it was
: originally a grass bank and it is a continuous battle to keep the
: grass at bay. So this year I have decided to put bark chippings down
: but have been advised by a friend that I should put fertiliser down
: first as the chippings will leech the nitrogen from the soil. Is this
: correct? (I am putting lots of compost under the chippings)
:
: Jeanne

Anything organic that's not rotted down will take nitrogen from the soil

but
in the case of bark chips this isn't going to be a massive amount. It
wouldn't be worth thinking about especially with the compost under it and
may even assist with your control of the grass. In time the nitrogen loss
sorts itself out anyway

indeed, and if you are not going to grow anything there, the whole point of
mulch, why bother fertilising? Fertilise what? If you do put some plants in
you can fertilise their roots with a slow release fertiliser.

rob