Old 30-05-2007, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amethyst Deceiver Amethyst Deceiver is offline

Default Question

Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Martin wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2007 00:27:59 +0100, Frank Booth Snr
wrote:
Wally wrote:

Hi, I'm a newbie to this growing lark, I've recently
taken a allotment and having a go for the first time this
year.
Been burying seeds and stuff and most seems to be growing,
however, looking at my broad beans today, they are
covered in black fly.

I wonder if you're new to this 'growing lark 'how you knew they were
blackfly?

Something to do with them being black and their ability to fly?

Erm, there are plenty of insects that are black and fly. And have you
ever seen blackfly flying around a plant they have already settled on?

The wings are a give-away. I knew immediately last summer when I was in
Wally's shoes and found my first ever broad beans covered in blackfly.

Wally, I left the plants and the flies alone and they didn't seem to suffer
too much.