Old 30-05-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Unusual trees for a new park

In article ,
John McMillan writes:
| In article ,
| Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
|
| Aesculus Indica?
| http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html
|
| I have three seedlings if you'd like one.
|
| If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.
|
| You can certainly see it at Kew gardens, which are where, er, my
| three conkers came from. They all sprouted in march and are now 50cm
| high thugs. My own site is probably a bit small for such a species
| but I thought of growing one and coppicing it. You can do that for
| sweet chestnut can't you.

Sweet chestnut and horse chestnut have little in common. I doubt
that the tree Aesculus would coppice well, as they tend to suffer
from rot, but the shrubby ones might. I don't know. Sweet chestnut
does coppice well, as you say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.