Old 30-05-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unusual trees for a new park

In message
, John
McMillan writes
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message
, John
McMillan writes
In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.

You can certainly see it at Kew gardens, which are where, er, my
three conkers came from. They all sprouted in march and are now 50cm
high thugs. My own site is probably a bit small for such a species
but I thought of growing one and coppicing it. You can do that for
sweet chestnut can't you.

Sweet chestnut and horse chestnut are not particularly closely related,
and drawing conclusions about one from the other is not safe. OTOH, many
trees can be coppiced, and there is mention of coppiced horse chestnuts
on the web. (Sweet chestnuts are particularly good for coppicing).

[Sweet chestnuts belong to the group of catkin-bearing trees including
beeches and oaks, and more distantly birches, alders, hazels, hornbeans,
walnuts and wingnuts. Horse chestnuts' closest relatives, apart from an
obscure Mexican genus, are maples, and more distantly golden rain tree,
citrus, sumach, mahogany etc.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley