Old 30-05-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gareee© Gareee© is offline

Default Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

But the silicone is designed to be adhesive.

Good point. Our aquaria have the silicone holding well on glass.
Indeed, we have had to shave it off to clear the glass!

Silicone is a really odd adhesive. If you ever read the package or tube,
you'll see "not to be used below the waterline". It isn't a very strong
adhesive, and it functions _really_ poorly when wet. The interior of the
glass join in an aquarium _isn't_ wet - but if you somehow allow water in
there, the joint failure can be catastrophic.

We have not had as good a result with plastics. They have to be
really clean and the bond really good. I wouldn't want to run with it
without compression to hold things steady.

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.

Hmm.. so then I'm still left with a glue dilemma.. only thing I can still
think of is a goop/shoe goo "sleeve" on the inlet 1" pvc pipe, and then shoe
goo applied both inside and out as well.

UV seems to be doing OK so far, but without being able to remove the
suspended particles, visibility still sucks.

Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)