Old 30-05-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.california
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default California gardening?

In article . com,
wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be
recommended for (1) good place to reti (2) good place to garden.
I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to
be a very good place to settle down. I'd like to live inland.

Thanks in advance!

Certainly is cheaper inland but the central valley in the summer is HOT.
Talking 105 F with weeks off 100 F. I think the foothills is the latest
niche if you don't have to drive to work. I would think around an hour
from Redding, Sacremento or Fresno would be OK. All three are college
towns, so there would be some intellectual stimulation. Must be some
on-line realtors. Near Auburn, East of Sacremento, on Route 80, would
have you on the way up to Lake Tahoe. Down side would be that Sacremento
is a large employer, so the market may already be tight. I like hills
and lakes so, I'd probably prefer the Redding - Chico area. But if you
find the right house, it could be anywhere. Sit down before you look at
prices.

Good luck,
- Bill