Old 30-05-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Charlie[_2_] Charlie[_2_] is offline

Default Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:51:21 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
wrote:

I swear to Gawd I'd be much happier if we went back to the horse and buggy
days.

After I left the bright lights and tall buildings behind, I spent
several years going broke by helping the local farmers and doing other
odd work, like cleaning chimneys (like that wasn't hazardous). This
was in the area in which I grew up.

One older farmer I regularly helped work cattle, still kept a team of
Belgians and would always work about ten acres of corn with them along
with giving the neighbors sleigh rides in the winter. It was *so*
peaceful watching them and hearing only the squeaking of harness and
implements. Nothing to drown out the sound of everything else in the
vicinity.

For sure, it would have been hard work, but I think that was better
than today's alternative. And healthier.

Care, and thanks for bringing this to mind
Charlie