Old 30-05-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Compost

On 29 May 2007 21:15:43 -0700, MajorOz wrote:
In that vein, I intend to venture into composting.
The cleared portion of my land, around the buildings, that I mow
comprises about four or so acres of generic local weeds, fescue that
has blown in from the neighbors up the road, and whatever forbs and
juvie trees take root come spring. I have no "lawn".
Can I gather these clippings and, after the proper treatment and
ageing, use them in the garden, with the roses and other flowers, or
as cover / mulch here and there? Will doing so simply re-distribute
weed seed?

Hot composting will take care of weed seeds -- but it can be difficult to
maintain a pile at requisite temperatures. Better to cut before
seeds actually form. 140oF for several days is considered "enough to
kill weed seeds". You might also solarize compost after you make it,
if the weed seed issue is a big one.

I manage my 63 acres for wildlife, and plant trees and brush from the
state -- too damn many trees to keep up with Would the well aged
compost from these clippings be OK to put in the "holes" that the
trees get planted in?

Recent work says that trees should be planted in unimproved "native"
soil for better root growth. Improve the soil too much and the roots
tend to stay in the dug hole.

I don't know when you're cutting, but be aware that cutting at the same
time each year can favor certain plant species over other ones, and by
doing so, you can really disrupt native insects and so forth that
you can actually negatively effect the animals you're managing for.

Kay