Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
John S. DeBoo

Default veggie garden question

B & J wrote:

"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message

Hey, the bigguns have a use too. My wife makes a totally awsome zuccini

bread with
them. A hundred times better than banana bread but still not quite as

scrumptious as
fresh pumpkin breadsigh, not from a can.

--
John S. DeBoo

I don't like the 2' long ones either, but I'll take any a foot or less long.
I had good luck raising them until I gave up when the squash borers did them
in before they produced. We use the bigger ones for pancakes that are
shredded and prepared in the same way raw potato pancakes are. They are a
lower calorie substitute and taste much the same.

Hmmm, never tried squash pancakes but..... Squash bugs, jez, I used to go on a
'Search and Destroy' mission every morning and evening to get those little
hummers. I have yet to find anything that really works for getting rid of them
other than a squeeze between your thumb and forefinger. Damn they stink too!
Going to give Marigolds a try this year but I'm not holding my breath they'll
keep the squash bugs awaysigh. I hate using sprays and the tar shingle trick
did nothing. They hate water so when I water the plants I catch the bugs.

--
John S. DeBoo