Old 20-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Lessa

Default Sombreuil and Spring roses

"R & L Porter" wrote in message

"Lessa" wrote in message

I also ordered Sombreuil from Pickering earlier in the fall for delivery
this spring. I am not sure about its hardiness but I figure why not give

it
a try. I love this rose, I just hope it grows in my zone 6 garden

Lessa

Hi Lessa,

I am guessing you are in Newfoundland? the *mun* part in your
email addy is what makes me deduce this. Correct me if I am
wrong!

What other roses, if any, do you grow?

I think you will be better off in your zone 6 garden than I, providing
your rose gets as much snow cover/protection as my babies have
been getting the past few years. It is a bit scary, as it is lulling me
into a false sense of security. All it would take is one cold winter
with little snow cover to kill at least a dozen of the less hardy
roses. I like to live on the edge, I guess.

Or maybe I am just too lazy (more likely)

Laura

I am indeed in Newfoundland, most people don't believe that Newfoundland can
be zone6 but mine is. The location where I am planning to put my 2
Sombreuils is fairly sheltered against my deck and has for the last 2 years
gotten a fairly deep snow cover. This year it is covered in about 4 feet of
snow so I actually look forward to the snow covering my garden. This past
week has been colder than most for the last couple of winters. Its pretty
unusual for us to get temps around -20C. Usually it is around -10 at the
coldest.
As for the other roses I have here is my list

Graham Thomas(2)
Kaleidoscope
The Hunter
Diamond Border
Sunsprite
Alec's Red
Perdita(everyone should have this rose it smells like heaven)
Morden Blush
Golden Celebration
L.D. Braithwaite
Don Juan