Old 30-05-2007, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Unusual trees for a new park

"Rhiannon S" wrote after Rod wrote...

I see nobody's mentioned Dawn Redwood, not esp. rare or unusual but
lovely tree at any time of the year, reasonably fast growing and
there's the fascinating story to tell of it's rediscovery.

Sorry for piggybacking, but I've lost the original post.

My suggestions would be for a Monkey Puzzle Trees (I know they aren't that
rare, but I happen to like monkey puzzle trees and think there should be
more of them) and japanese cherry trees (Prunus serrulata and varients)
which are so gorgeous in spring.

I think the Dawn Redwood was mentioned previously or at least I've got it on
my list now thanks Rod. A few prehistoric trees would be rather useful for
the local Scouts etc to help them get their badges. :-)

The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too, there is an excellent one
just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good idea
in a public park these days, some little darling might prick themselves.
:-(
I'll put it to the Council though with most of your other suggestions.

--
Regards
Bob H