Old 30-05-2007, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default no toads again :(

On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:20:42 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"Hal" wrote in message
.. .
This must not be a good year for toads. I've noticed the mating's are
not as loud, there seems to be fewer males calling this year and I
haven't seen as many tadpoles for some reason. Very likely because I
haven't seen rain in about 45 days. Unusual for me this time of year
and the toads like to mate every time it rains.

=======================
We've only had about 3" of rain in the past 6, 7 weeks or so. We've seen a
few toads and a couple of bullfrogs but for the most part our usually very
VERY noisy ponds are quiet after sundown. That's quite unusual for us. Our
neighbor's stock pond is almost dried up and no frogs calling from there
either. We have only one kind of toad here but a nice variety of frogs. I
hope we didn't lose them in that abnormal freeze we had last month.

That would be our total for the past 6 months or so. And this is
Florida! The pond in front is just about dried up, the pond by the
house only has water in it because I run a hose in it. The pond in
back still has quite a bit of water in it, but even it is lower. I
know for sure that the back pond has some kind of spring feeding it,
otherwise it surely would have dried out by now. I haven't the
foggiest where it gets its water from though, because I'm on some of
the highest elevation in the area. But I haven't seen (or heard) near
the frogs or toads this year. Even the number of frogs that sit on my
windows in the evenings (to catch bugs attracted by the light) are
far, far fewer in number. I hope it is just the lack of rain, and not
something else.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I have no idea what happened, but I assure you it was all proper.