Old 31-05-2007, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Charlie[_2_] Charlie[_2_] is offline

Default sweet butter lettuce

On 31 May 2007 01:55:26 GMT, Puckdropper wrote:

I'm moving my potatoes to cover my lettice then. That way, it should
only get the mid-day/evening sun rather than sun the whole day.

Speaking of experiments, my potatoes are in 5-gallon buckets since we
planned to move mid-june. We'll see how that goes, and the cost of seed
was actually less than the cost of dirt and way less than the cost of the
bucket. Acquisition is a disease, I tell ya...

Puckdropper

Sounds like you might be interested in a book by John Jeavons,
"How to Grow More Vegetables..". It is about biointensive gardening,
here's a primer of sorts.

http://www.growbiointensive.org/grow_start.html

This is my ultimate goal, as my space is so limited, and it just seems
like the right thing to be doing.

I like the tater idea and will definitely try that next year. I too
move pots around and shade stuff.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the acquisition thing! It is a
*major* source of contention with the missus. The town I live in has a
twice yearly town cleanup, where you can put most anything out to be
hauled off for free. It is friggin' *great*. For four days people are
running all over town cabagging onto other peoples castoffs, before the
haulers show up. Talk about bein' a Creeping Charlie!

This year I liberated a bunch of stuff that I cabbaged last year, plus
a bunch of other stuff, and hauled home a huge bunch of flower pots and
a perfectly good weber keetle to join the other kettle and its three
other grilling/smoking friends. I didn't gain any storage space. Most
of the stuff I put out disappeared before the haulers got there.

i am always on the lookout for buckets!

BTW Puckdropper, I have *never* heard of anyone liking their garden so
much they take it with them when they move! That is love!

Take care, it's an illness, I tell ye!
Charlie