Old 31-05-2007, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default Need help identifying herbs

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:47:41 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

Are all the photos of the same plant, Bill?

The first one, shot from the top, looks like echinacea.

Hmmm
Charlie

OK, so I'm not a photographer. The fuzzy pictures were taken with a
polaroid that obviously has no macro capability. The second was taken by
a neighbor who was pressed into service.
Each set is of a different plant 1a&b, 2a&b and, then I got tricky, 3&4
a&b are of two plants, side by side.
Scores will be awarded on the basis of correctness or creativity.
Good luck,

I'm staying with echinacea on #1. Are the leaves and the stem
"sandpapery"? And the stem tough? If it is echinacea, you should see
some buds before long.

Others have to get the others.

I like this game, kinda like the National Geographic guess the macro
shot.

Chumily
Charlie

I'm tempted to say that it is echinacea except that the pictures I've
seen of echinacea don't show the leaves to be exactly opposit of each
other, which is the case with my plant.
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pict...a-purpurea-9.h
tm
Otherwise, that's what it looks like except as I say that the leaves on
my plant are exactly opposite each other the next pair, up or down, are
at right angles to the first pair of leaves.

So, unless there is something else that looks like echinacea, then that
is what it must be. Funny, the one planted in the ground never came back
from last year.

Oh yeah Charlie, it has a roud, not square, stem.

- Bill