Old 31-05-2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gareee© Gareee© is offline

Default Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

"G Pearce" wrote in message

Hi Gary - Hal is right - Bulkhead fittings are the answer, for any
thickness of plastic or rubber, just make sure you tighten it - I use it
on 45 gal plastic barrels for bio-filters - no leaks - they come from 3/8"
up to 2" and maybe larger - go to a farm supply store that has supplies
for sprayers for fields - up here in Canada a 2" fitting is about $15
Can - smaller ones are less - I would never use pvc fittings and any kind
of glue - Bulkheads around here are used on up to 5000 gal (and maybe
larger) tanks with no problem - my filter has been running for 12 yrs - no
leaks

Ok, so bulkhead fittings are metal? I have a farm supply store here,
(fortunately).. are they also available at Lowe's? I did something similar
with the toilet flanges.. I attached them from the inside, and used the
regualr wax seals for them. I added long bolts, and used LARGE washers on
each side, tighten down,. with silicon between them and the rubbermaid to
add just a little more seal to them. Those look to be working great.

I'll see if I can find the bulkhead fittings tomorrow if possible. If they
are heavy, might that be an issue for the plastic to support?

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)