Old 31-05-2007, 01:34 PM posted to austin.gardening
[email protected] cinquefoil_5@yahoo.com is offline

Default Preparing soil for planting,

Good morning everyone,

I get a little confused about how to prepare the ground for planting
of general plants, ie: flowers (no roses), or let say I want to plant
a grape plant? or such.
Do you put down manure or not? What is the proper combination of
"stuff" to put down.
How far down should I dig to prepare the soil.
I do not have anything truly specific to plant at this time. But just
want to know generally.
I heard that putting manure down can burn the roots.
Also, If I am starting a brand new garden in a new place , I do not
have my own compost to put down what do I do?
Is there a magic "dirt" combination or layers of dirt to prepare such
a place?
Thank you for your help,
Anita