Old 31-05-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default no toads again :(

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:20:42 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"Hal" wrote in message
. ..
This must not be a good year for toads. I've noticed the mating's are
not as loud, there seems to be fewer males calling this year and I
haven't seen as many tadpoles for some reason. Very likely because I
haven't seen rain in about 45 days. Unusual for me this time of year
and the toads like to mate every time it rains.

=======================
We've only had about 3" of rain in the past 6, 7 weeks or so. We've seen
a few toads and a couple of bullfrogs but for the most part our usually
very
VERY noisy ponds are quiet after sundown. That's quite unusual for us.
Our neighbor's stock pond is almost dried up and no frogs calling from
there
either. We have only one kind of toad here but a nice variety of frogs.
I hope we didn't lose them in that abnormal freeze we had last month.

That would be our total for the past 6 months or so. And this is
Florida!

I'd confirm this theory from the opposite side. While we had a dry winter
and early Spring, once things started to warm up enough to get toads (and
spring peepers) we got rain too, and our peepers and toads are making like
very noisy rabbits :-)
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated