Old 31-05-2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
cat daddy cat daddy is offline

Default Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"G Pearce" wrote in message

Hi Gary - Hal is right - Bulkhead fittings are the answer, for any
thickness of plastic or rubber, just make sure you tighten it - I use it
on 45 gal plastic barrels for bio-filters - no leaks - they come from

3/8"
up to 2" and maybe larger - go to a farm supply store that has supplies
for sprayers for fields - up here in Canada a 2" fitting is about $15
Can - smaller ones are less - I would never use pvc fittings and any

kind
of glue - Bulkheads around here are used on up to 5000 gal (and maybe
larger) tanks with no problem - my filter has been running for 12 yrs -

no
leaks

Ok, so bulkhead fittings are metal? I have a farm supply store here,
(fortunately).. are they also available at Lowe's? I did something similar
with the toilet flanges.. I attached them from the inside, and used the
regualr wax seals for them. I added long bolts, and used LARGE washers on
each side, tighten down,. with silicon between them and the rubbermaid to
add just a little more seal to them. Those look to be working great.

I'll see if I can find the bulkhead fittings tomorrow if possible. If they
are heavy, might that be an issue for the plastic to support?

An Improvised PVC Bulkhead Fitting for Liquid Storage Tanks
http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm
"...plastic electrical conduit fittings are the secret ingredient to
improvising a bulkhead fitting."

Rubbermaid Commercial Products
5050-12 Stock Tank Drain Plug Kit , $20.40
http://tinyurl.com/2l542w

http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/pr...egoryID_rcpNum
=507_5050-12&categoryID_subcategoryID_rcpNum=507_555_5050-12