Old 31-05-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Need help identifying herbs

Charlie wrote in :

On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:50:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Bill Rose wrote in
:

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly
from seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I
thought that these herbs had died but they came back this year. I
don't recognize them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted

them
in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3
posts over. It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the
snaps. It was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified,
I'll do better next time.

- Bill

3a looks like a mint on the left and maybe lavender or
tarragon on the right.

Brush your fingers on the leaves and see what those
plants smell like.

Mints normally (always?) have square stems.

Jan

Yeah, your right Jan, it does look like a mint (square stem and all)
but it doesn't have a mint smell and it's not "self-heal".

Did you plant bee-balm? It has a sq. stem IIRC and it won't have a

mint
smell.

You are right, stem is square, I just went outside and looked. But the
leaves have a light scent reminiscent of catnip? The leaf stems are
opposite each other.

Charlie

Opposite leaves are a trait of the mint family as is the square stem, as
far as I can recall without actually going out and checking out the
garden. Did you plant catnip? Or maybe cat mint? I can't see the pics
so I'm just guessing, of course.