Old 31-05-2007, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Unusual trees for a new park

"K" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too,

Until this thread I thought I was the only urgler who liked them!

|there is an excellent one
| just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good
idea
| in a public park these days, some little darling might prick
themselves.
| :-(

Oh, GOOD! For sheer viciousness, our native barberry (Berberis vulgaris)
takes a lot of beating. It has spectacular yellow flowers in spring,
and equally spectacular, edible red berries in autumn. Its leaves are
edible, too.

Leeds have been planting Araucaria by the score :-)
In amongst pampas grass which is probably more vicious.

| I'll put it to the Council though with most of your other suggestions.

Taxodium distichum is also good,

Swamp cypress? Got one of those I grew from seed - very pretty at this
age. Wish it would grow 'knees' but I don't think it will.

as is Abies koreana (though a bit
slow growing).

But with cones when very young :-)
--
Kay

That's a cone when very young in my case, however after 10 years it now has
four. Those Araucaria on the bit by the Armley gyratory are excellent .
Planted very closely -perhaps that is supposed to limit the growth?
Very Yob proof- I wonder if it is possible to do a hedge:-)