Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Chris McMillan

Default [IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild

In message 000001c2f5cb$d35ba500$44dc883e@Action, kevin bailey
writes
Oaks can be excellent bonsai. One of mine is coming along nicely. Take a
look if you like. http://www.actionvideo.freeserve.co.uk/kev'soak.htm
This one is a collected specimen though.

Plant them in the ground for four or five years and keep cutting the top
back two or three times per season. Lift each spring and rearrange the
roots especially reducing any tap root.

I tried bonsaing from acorn about 15 years ago and still have the tree
that has spent its entire life in a pot.

My bonsai would have to be pot only: there isn't spare ground for more
tree. The leaf is bigger than yours so maybe its not a viable option
this time. :-)

But I am going to get my hands on the herbs bonsai book if I can: that
could well be an option as we grow them anyway.

Sincerely, Chris
--
Chris McMillan