Old 01-06-2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Need help identifying herbs

On May 31, 7:56 pm, Bill Rose wrote:
In article om,

mleblanca wrote:
On May 30, 8:19 pm, Bill Rose wrote:
In article , Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:47:41 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

Are all the photos of the same plant, Bill?

The first one, shot from the top, looks like echinacea.

Hmmm
Charlie

OK, so I'm not a photographer. The fuzzy pictures were taken with a
polaroid that obviously has no macro capability. The second was taken by
a neighbor who was pressed into service.
Each set is of a different plant 1a&b, 2a&b and, then I got tricky, 3&4
a&b are of two plants, side by side.
Scores will be awarded on the basis of correctness or creativity.
Good luck,

I'm staying with echinacea on #1. Are the leaves and the stem
"sandpapery"? And the stem tough? If it is echinacea, you should see
some buds before long.

Others have to get the others.

I like this game, kinda like the National Geographic guess the macro
shot.

Chumily
Charlie

I'm tempted to say that it is echinacea except that the pictures I've
seen of echinacea don't show the leaves to be exactly opposit of each
other, which is the case with my
plant.http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pict...nacea-purpurea.
..
tm
Otherwise, that's what it looks like except as I say that the leaves on
my plant are exactly opposite each other the next pair, up or down, are
at right angles to the first pair of leaves.

So, unless there is something else that looks like echinacea, then that
is what it must be. Funny, the one planted in the ground never came back
from last year.

Oh yeah Charlie, it has a roud, not square, stem.

- Bill

Well I did go out and look at my echinacea, and I am sure
that this will help a lot
Mine has BOTH opposite and alternate leaves.
So another characterisic 'might' be needed.

One nitpicking fact, there are no Blue Jays in Calif.
They will be either Steller's or Scrub Jays. You really
don't want to get rid of them; they are masters at
locating tomato worms and eating/feeding them to
young. They also warn other birds of the presence
of cats. Besides they are big clowns and are great
fun to watch.

Yeah, yeah, what can I say. We call them blue jays or just plain "jays".
We are leaning over the fence talking to each other not writing a text
book on ornithology.

Oh now.........if I wanted to teach you ornithology I would have said:
There are no Cyanocitta cristata in CA; we have Cyanocitta stelleri
and Aphelocoma californica. Don't get testy :^) There will be no
test....

Warn about "cats"? They chase the cats and eat their food. These birds
have real interpersonal problems. They chase the house wrens and, the
bush-tits. They move in gangs. They're just plain mean.

Hmm, they sound almost like humans, don't they? Some people don't like
them I'd guess, because the jays are smarter than they are (present
company excepted, of course) Maybe Coastal Jays are mean from all
that fog and mist!! Our are just funny.

I'd still give
all of the for one mocking bird.

My mockingbird leaves the first of May. He goes down to the creek
to help with raising the younguns. No singing at this time, too busy

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non dispu

Emilie