Old 01-06-2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default yellow leaf - I'm in a panic!

Jane, repot. As always, Ray is spot on, and if your plant is in spaghnum
moss and bark the stuff is overdue to be changed. Be careful with the spike
and it should be okay. If not, better to lose a few flowers than the whole
plant.

My guess is that the roots in the pot are pretty much shot. Trim away what
is dead, using a fresh razor blade or sterilized clipper. The center "stem"
in the pot may have some rot. If so, trim it back to clean tissue and seal
the cut with a paste made from cinnamon and Elmer's glue.

The root growing above the potting medium may turn out to be an aerial root
that won't go into the pot. If it goes in, fine, but if not simply make sure
to give it a good soaking when you water. I'd let the leaves fall off on
their own, personally.

Diana

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"Jane" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't know if this helps, but it is growing a new root on top of the
soil. At first I thought it was another flower spike but it's a root.

I'm in a similar predicament with a fairly new Phal from Lowe's. When I
checked carefully I found the roots going into the spagum (sp?) moss were
black, dry and dead - but not rotten and mushy. They look like they just
dried up and died. The few healthy ones on the surface don't seem to be
drawing water and the plant is obviously dehydrating. It just finished
flowering. The other Phal I bought around the same time is doing fine.