Old 01-06-2007, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹°-°³ is offline

Default Tree Roots Under Tarmac

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:08:51 +0100, "Martin Harran"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

I'm having a major problem with tree roots cracking my tarmac drive.

I'm not sure exactly where the roots are coming from, I have a beech hedge
alongside the driveway, about 8 yeras old and only 4 ft high. Immediately
behind that is a Leylandii hedge that my neighbour planted about 10 years
ago which he keeps trimmed about 8 ft high - I'm much more suspicious of the
leylandii.

I don't want really want to cut down my own beech hedge - I planted it in
front of the leylandii because I detest leylandii hedging - and I don't want
to ask my neighbour to kill off his hedge when I'm not certain that is
casuing the problem.

I've some really big Leylandii in my front garden, planted within 3'
of my neighbour's tarmac drive. For various reasons we are both
happy with the height of the 'hedge' which is topped at about 9' but
is really wide. It has never touched or damaged his tarmac.

On the other hand there used to be one of these bloody stag horn
sumac thingies. That ruined my lawn for at least 14' and was
constantly erupting up through his tarmac. Took ages to get rid of
the thing.

I've also copper beech growing tall quite near my neighbour's border.
They do not show invasive tendencies at all.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³