Old 01-06-2007, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Fruiting bananas in the UK?

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
I fancy growing something unusual and a banana tree (not a plantain) has
been suggested as something that ought to grow in rural Cambridgeshire, but
almost certainly won't bear edible fruit.

Would URGlers agree on that?

--
Brian

I would agree that it is very unlikely that you will get an edible banana
outside.
There are a few that will give a fruit under glass. We do live in hope and
each year there is something new that promises to be even hardier than the
standard basjoo. It is only a matter of time before some type of hybrid is
produced which will produce an edible fruit, but I guess you will have to
stretch your imagination to say that it tastes nice.