Old 02-06-2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default eggshells

Persephone wrote in :

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:38:43 -0500, jangchub
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:16:47 -0500, "Dwayne" wrote:

Egg shells placed under the surface of the soil around your tomatoes,
and other plants bothered by nematodes, will draw an insect (I don't
know which one) to eat the membrane in the egg shells. Once they get
there they find that they like nematode eggs better and will clean
them out. I read that in one of my tomato books, but don't remember
which one.

Dwayne

What is your source for this statement?

The best way to provide calcium to plants via eggshells is to let them
dry completely in the sun and if you have a morar and pestal grind
them into powder. You can also put them in a plastic bag and roll
them with a rolling pin till they are powder.

A much more effective way to provide Ca to soil is in the form of
powderd milk. It's very fast.

How much and should we till it in?

Any downside?

TIA

Yeah. Have you priced powdered milk lately??